Here is a dump of some questions from an IBM software engineer interview.
Note, these questions are mostly behavioral, and are geared towards a student who will or has recently graduated from school. Copious notes are taken during this process.
Whether these should be questions of import in a software engineer interview, I will leave for another time.
- Name a time you had a disagreement in a team, and how did you resolve it?
- Give me an example of a time you were in a team environment, not in the workplace but in the classroom, and what did you learn from it?
- Did a natural leader sort of emerge in that group?
- Give me 3 to 5 adjectives that your coworkers would use to describe you.
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Specifically, what direction do you see your career moving in? (interviewer admitted this was a bad question)
- How does IBM fit into your career goals?
- What do you think are your strengths?
- Give me an example of a time you showed leadership.
- Suppose you were an expert in something, and people kept referring to you about it to the point where it was interfering with your work. What would you do about this?
- Suppose you are in a cubicle and the person next to you is on the phone with a client, giving out incorrect information. What would you do?
- What part of the software design process do you want to work in?